Sunday 28 February 2010

The Divine Ford and Firth


Sorry- long week! It is always incredibly hectic after half term. Of course, work will become progressively more chaotic as exam season approaches.
Anyway, onto the fashion. I saw Tom Ford's 'A Single Man' a few days ago, and thought it was wonderful; heavily stylised yet tender and heart-warming. Colin Firth's performance was beautifully nuanced and captivating. A few models here and there weren't too bad either (I don't think Tom Ford could resist!).

So here's the poem:

A Single Man

Amidst his impeccable house
the professor sat in tense anticipation.
Everywhere a reminder of
the architect he lost.
No amount of Chanel, Dior or Armani
could retrieve him from his grieving.
And rightly so.

The desperate lady
perfecting her eyes,
creating her face
was powerless.
The paper lamp flickered across
the decadence but it could not
reach those trapped in misery.
Meanwhile a confused boy
with a jumper of snow
wondered why the professor was afraid.
His model girlfriend looked beautiful
and was quiet. Nothing else.
As the professor perfected his suit
on the bed the gun glinted and clicked
but he was a coward.
The fully furnished man could not do it.
Instead, he lit up and took the Aston round the bend.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED the film, so beautiful and Colin Firth was incredible! Can't believe I had to drive half an hour out of my hometown (and it's a BIG city too) to find a cinema showing it.
    And I love yours poems, the Carey Mulligan one is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good determination! Colin Firth deservedly won the bafta for it- fingers crossed for the oscars! Thanks for the comments- I enjoy writing them and I hope they will progress over time.

    ReplyDelete