Saturday 20 February 2010

Change of plan

I have done some investigating. It is clear to me that there is an extreme abundance of fashion blogs. Who really needs one more? I have come to the conclusion that this particular blog is slightly useless, and have formulated a new plan.
So, the grand plan. Here it is: I am going to write about fashion but, I am going to write about it through the wonders of poetry. Crazy I know, but I want to have a go and see where I end up.
It will probably be pretty evident who I have been reading at the time of writing the poems. For instance I am buried in Plath at present, so perhaps a more candid and sinister side will seep through. Who knows? That is the beauty of poetry. Take what you want from it, it does not need to be clear.
However I would like to mention that I do not mean to cause offense in any of my poetry, I simply write down my jumbled thoughts as soon as they form.
Just to briefly mention, I am going to start a blog on culture in general, and explore anything of interest to me and hopefully to you! From the victorian era to the swinging sixties, I shall write down any nuggets of information worth reading.
Onto the first poem then- bear in mind that I will improve with time, so I hope this is not a enormous anti-climax (although I'm sure you were not holding your breath)...

Upon hearing on the death of the brilliant Alexander McQueen, I composed this poem:


Alexander McQueen.

When Wacko Jacko died it was bittersweet.
Fire and ice collided. King of Pop. 'Child molester'.
But you, when you died the world
flickered out momentarily
as the immense presence tore at the fickle few.
Momentarily.
From its ashes sprung a new fiend, emptiness.
It crashed upon our ears,
Our eyes,
Our words choked and then-
We picked up our paper and carried on...

I musn't forget the tickets for tomorrow.
It had your name on. Now replaced.
But it is etched in me
Rebellious You.


Again, no offence intended. I promise that my future poems will be less melancholy.

I will update roughly every two or three days, as that gives me plenty of time to have any strokes of inspiration.

I hope you will continue to have a look at my future posts- thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Omg I do English at uni and poetry is my absolute favourite thing in the world (second to fashion obvs)- doing Paradise Lost for my dissertation. Sylvia Plath is genius- Lady Lazarus has to be one of the most thought provoking poems ever.
    Look forward to seeing the rest of ur poetry-fashion collaborations!!
    CJ
    ps. check out my blog- semi mix of fashion/photography/books/poems

    www.misshavishamspearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete